.

.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Article on Workshops


The Living Arts and Sciences Center was bursting with activity on the morning of March tenth. The Community Engagements Through the Arts class- casually referred to as CETA- was hosting one of its final workshops at the beautiful learning center and the entire first floor was packed with children and their parents, busily sewing socks and buttons and yarn to make some fantastical creatures.  All of these “sock monkeys” will be part of the 1,000 Dolls Project- CETA’s community art piece for the semester.

Alyssa O’Bryan, the student leader of this particular workshop, hurried around threading needles and greeting new arrivals, but when I asked her how she thought the event was going, she took a quick break form her hosting duties to give me her assessment. “Yeah, I think it’s going really well. It has kind of come together perfectly.” With a quick smile, she hastily returned to the task at hand and went to greet a large group parents and children that had just entered through the front door.


           As the weeks go by, I am often asked for a count of the finished dolls, and I have not yet been able to give a definite answer. Thankfully, since the Living Arts and Sciences Center workshop, I am confident that the final goal of 1,000 dolls is drawing near- a goal that the Lexington community is awaiting with excitement. During the workshop, parents and children alike asked me multiple times if I knew what day the dolls would be hidden along North Limestone. Of course I could not give an answer more specific than, “oh…um…. Sometime during the first half of April,” but my vague answers were usually met by an increased interest and intrigued raised eyebrows. Lexington is excited for the 1,000 Dolls of CETA and they will not be disappointed. 


By Aimee Ashcraft

No comments:

Post a Comment