CETA 2020: Our first 2 emojis (of hundreds)

CETA 2020: Our first 2 emojis (of hundreds)
Created January 6, 2020

Monday, January 21, 2019

Questions for class on Jan. 22

Please upload your questions for "The Crisis of Childhood Trauma" , "Writing as a Source of Healing", and "Storytelling a Key" by noon on Wednesday!

10 comments:

  1. As much as I do think childhood trauma should be taken more seriously, and there are some important policy decisions that could be made to head in that direction, I’m worried about who would be left behind and that the public health system in this country isn’t ready for that. If the problem is people are living their lives “in a state of chronic and constant stress,” unless the solutions are free and accessible to all children who have been victims of trauma, I’m not sure it’ll benefit those it needs to benefit. I fear it would tend to favor those whose families already have health insurance, the children and adults who do have access to therapists and other things to help with trauma. Given that there is not equal access to health insurance and therefore healthcare in the United States at this time, is there a way to ensure the especially vulnerable populations of children will have as much as, if not more, help in accessing the approach proposed in the article?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the article on journaling. I kept a daily journal for a year and a half in high school and my first year of college. I found it really beneficial. It allowed me to express myself and gave me an outlet for any problems I was facing. From time to time I go back and read bits of it and see how far I have come. I agree with Phelan that I don't know that it changed my life, but I can see how my life has changed and evolved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the article about the connections between childhood trauma and difficulties later in life (such as mental illness, addiction, relationship issues, poverty, etc.) especially devastating because I keep reading about the thousands of migrant children who have been separated from their parents for many months, some for longer than a year now. Our government has finally admitted that initially it didn’t have a good system of tracking where the children were being sent, which means that some kids may never be matched with parents or relatives desperately looking for them. My question is always about the mental-health issues with which these kids are likely already struggling. How do you re-learn to trust people after being violently taken away from your parent(s) and incarcerated in a land whose language you don’t understand? How do you ever regain a sense of control over your life? The author of the article insists we should approach trauma as a public health crisis. My question is: how do we treat a society in which thousands of children were purposefully taken away from their parents and may never see them again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's ironic that we were asked to read an article about the art of storytelling, as I'd already decided last week to write about it. I grew up in a typical Appalachian family, and one of the most typical aspects of that youth was the retelling of family and community stories. Not only from my grandparents and parents, but from all members of my hometown, I was bombarded by stories. Stories that mythologized place, person, and idea. My Papaw is still widely known as a storyteller, and it's a skill I believe he passed down to me. My niece and nephew have been lucky to witness it, as well, and I often tell them how lucky they are to hear them 'straight from the horse's mouth.' I think storytelling is a valuable life-skill all children should be introduced to, and there's a reason that ancient people recorded oral history as written allegorical myth. It helps shape the world around us, and allows us to investigate people, place, and idea more intimately. I suppose my question is: Why the hell are we teaching our kids to bubble scantron tests instead of teaching them to read, question, and write stories? One day our history won't have anyone to record it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found the article on the benefits of journaling interesting, because I typically journal every day, and I love looking back at old entries. However, my journaling functions more as a way to document what happens each day-- I typically list off what I did with brief descriptions and then list one particularly good moment that happened, as opposed to writing as a way of working through problems. Because of this, I wonder just how much different types of journaling might affect the health of journal-writers. The author states that writing about traumatic experiences is often more beneficial than writing about everyday experiences, but I've also heard a lot about gratitude journaling being helpful. I wonder how beneficial gratitude journaling might be in comparison to journaling about disturbing experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One quotation in particular stood out to me from the article about childhood trauma: "If the ills of our societies, including trauma, are to be tackled seriously, then injustice must be held accountable." I feel one of the greatest injustices people in the country face on a daily basis is the inability to access affordable healthcare - not just for physical health, but for mental and emotional health. While the study did not directly draw correlation between poverty and trauma, the effects of childhood trauma carry the risk of leading to an adulthood filled with financial strife. Many experiencing poverty can't afford to eat healthy, which leads to health problems; they can't afford to pay bills, which leads to other risky methods of making money; the stress of staying alive strains relationships. So long as communal health is lacking, this cycle will continue. I agree that childhood trauma is a crisis faced by many Americans, and investing in community and providing support for families is necessary for promoting public health.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The article about childhood trauma really caught my attention. As I read, I kept seeing how trauma is related to such things as mental illnesses and how they want to try and prevent those types of things. I’m curious as to how they plan on finding out about it? A lot of people that have experienced trauma do not like to speak on it and they just keep it hidden away. Unless you directly ask and they are willing to tell, you most likely will not find out about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found the article about Childhood trauma to be very interesting and eye-opening. There were a few things that I never really considered before. Although I knew childhood trauma takes a toll on one’s future, I never thought about the way it effects specific things like one’s family stability and social status. A question I had in regards to the research conducted, how were they sure every child was comfortable enough to talk about the trauma? I feel like the number of reported traumas was most likely less than the truth because of the tendency of children restraining from speaking their full truths. How can we as adults teach kids that it is both necessary and healthy to speak about issues we may keep bottled up?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found the articles about writing and storytelling to be very relatable. I believe that storytelling especially about ourselves should be a skill that should be taught and part of the curriculum. I was just in a situation where I had to write a personal statement to get into law school. I found this task incredibly daunting. I also find the storytelling aspect of the This I Believe essays to be very challenging. It is because we are not taught to write about ourselves or our stories. The question I have is how do we get people to write about themselves? How do we teach storytelling to people when it is obviously not something that is valued?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed the article about teaching students storytelling. I think it is extremely important that creativity and the art of talking to people and sharing stories are implemented into students’ education. Not only is storytelling important for growing/expanding the minds of students, but for any aged person as well because storytelling connects people. Do you believe our education system does an adequate job of placing an importance on human connection and storytelling?

    ReplyDelete