CETA 2020: Our first 2 emojis (of hundreds)

CETA 2020: Our first 2 emojis (of hundreds)
Created January 6, 2020

Friday, January 31, 2020

This I Believe #3-- 02/03/20

Post This I Believe #3 and comment on other people's

46 comments:

  1. Most of my life, my parents have made a point to live in the woods or in the country, away from the lights and noise of the city. I moved around a lot growing up, so sometimes it is hard for me to describe a place that feels like home.
    No matter where I lived though, I distinctly remember nights when it rained, and I would fall asleep to big, fat raindrops hitting my window, or bouncing off the leaves of our trees and splattering on the shingles. During the summer, the frogs chirp and sing all night, chasing the glowing lights of lightning bugs. The light howling of the wind could be frightening sometimes, but I eventually became accustomed to it, and hearing it was like an old song.
    When I moved here to Lexington, I felt out of my element entirely. Instead of leaves rustling and the wind howling, I heard car alarms, sirens, or inebriated classmates trying to find their way home. Because of these sounds, I had a hard time feeling at home here. The instant it rains though, and I hear the drops against the brick or the wind against my poorly insulated window, I feel at home.
    Even though my memories of home never attached to one address, my soul and spirit attached themselves to their own sense of home. No matter where I go in the world, I will always be under the same sky, and I will always have rain to comfort me when I feel isolated. I believe home doesn’t have to be four walls and a roof, it can be raindrops and wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Sometimes a person can feel like home, or a food etc. Like you, when coming to Transy I had a really hard time adapting. Luckily, I had a room mate who was religious, kind, and country. She reminded me of home. <3 So, I totally understand where you are coming from!!

      Delete
    2. I totally agree with this and I love the rain so much!

      Delete
    3. I love so much about your reflection, Madison, including the poetry within your language. I, too, need to write about what home is to me.

      Delete
  2. I believe in blueberries
    I believe in the scary power of love
    I believe in Community Engagement Through the Arts
    I believe in dreams have meanings and are open for interpretation
    I believe in trying to put the phone down to enjoy life as it happens
    I believe in making memories with the people you love while you still can
    I believe in UK football
    I believe in warning signs
    I believe in being the bigger person even when you don't feel like you need to be
    I believe in failing and failing to meet the astronomically high expectations
    I believe Valentine’s day is a social construct
    I believe in confliction of the heart
    I believe in the power of addiction
    I believe in silence

    All of these by themselves might not seem significant, but they are significant to me. These statements don’t mean the same thing to other people. For example, when I say that ‘I believe in UK football’ it is not because I love UK football. I quite frankly don’t care for UK football, but what I do care about is the importance of UK winning one game to me. Also, many people might believe that Valentine’s day is a social construct, but I can guarantee they do not have the same reasons to believe that as I do.
    The fact that we all might believe in something but have different reasons for doing so is super interesting to me. To be able to see why people believe in things so I can understand them as a person better is so neat. I never put thought into specific things I believe in, but now that I have to do that weekly I find it powerful. I believe in having things to believe in and sharing them with others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that last paragraph. It is truly awesome to find out why people are they way they are and these essays people write gives us a little glimpse into the minds of others. Our differences make us unique, but sharing our difference is what makes us strong. So cool!

      Delete
    2. I love this Paige. I am a big supporter respecting everyones individual reasons for their beliefs.

      Delete
  3. I believe the Superbowl should be an official national holiday.
    Every year my friends and I get together to watch the NFL annual championship game. Before the kickoff, we like to play guitar, cook, drink beer, and watch country music videos. However, every year I have to write a paper, or read, or study because I have something due the next day for class. If the Superbowl was a national holiday, we would have the Monday off and I could relax and enjoy the day with my friends. Instead, everyone has to dread going to work or class the next day. Although some people do not get anxiety with the thought of having responsibilities the next day, I am unable to truly enjoy my friends company or the game because I am constantly thinking about all of the things I need to do for the following week. One of my friends has to leave this Superbowl party because he has a test tomorrow. Of course, he is still going to watch the superbowl. That just means that he is going to be up all night studying for his test.
    Why isn’t it an official national holiday anyways? It is found that the average TV audience is 98.2 million. With that being said, it is the most famous sport in the United States. So, we could at least make it a holiday for the United States. If it was considered an official holiday, people would be able to wake up on Monday tiredless. As well as feeling more prepared because they have an extra day to get ready for the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am absolutely down for a national holiday on Super Bowl Sunday. Giving everyone the day off from classes would give students a rare day of rest!

      Delete
  4. I believe in love. Love is the one thing that defies space and time no matter the circumstance. Saturday at 5:19 pm, February 1, I found out my best friend died. For the past few days, I've been overtaken by grief trying to move on and continue with my life, but how can you when I’ve never known my life without him. My grandfather, was 82 years old the funniest man, the best man, and one of my heros. One of my favorite things about my grandfather was the love he had for my grandmother. They met when they were 16 through their high school marching and got married when they were about 18. They were married for 65 years and if that isn’t something to aspire for I don’t know what is and still to the day he died they were in love. I remember playing old music and them dancing along or playing around with snapchat filters with them. While death is one of the worst things to suffer it is a part of life and it always helps to bring the mourning family closer together, because my grandfather died my cousin reached out to me whereas typically we don’t talk very much.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is very moving! It is always tough to lose someone you cared for, but looking at the positives helps people move on.

      Delete
    2. I am so so sorry to hear, Anna. Grandparents are really important. Losing them is so very hard.

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry for your loss, I hope you are doing okay! It is always easier to deal with loss when you have such vivid and happy memories to carry on.

      Delete
    4. I just lost my grandfather last month... I'm here if you need someone.

      Delete
    5. I am so sorry for your loss, Anna. My heart goes out to you and your family.

      Delete
  5. As I sit in my room reading from There There, a breathtaking novel written by Tommy Orange, the words jump out at me: “Bad luck or just bad shit happening to you in life can make you secretly superstitious, can make you want to take some control or take back some sense of control.” Reading this I reflect on the thousands of times I have knocked on wood, stepped over a crack, crossed my fingers or participated in any other bizarre anecdotes that may sway the universe in my favor. Further, I remember all the people who scoffed at my urgency to avoid a jinx, bewildered by my unfaltering superstition. For as long as I can remember I have been a superstitious person, and dismissed it as a random characteristic I gained along the way. But now, reading this line, I reevaluate my motives.
    Having had a rocky childhood--parents in and out of court and an alcoholic father who eventually grew out of the picture-- I felt a lack of control to say the least. All of this happening by the age of nine, I quickly developed ways to feel less overpowered, and more in charge of my reality. Could it have been this, that led me to develop such devout superstitions?
    Perhaps not, but whether or not my adolecensce encouraged my habits, or superstitions have any truth to them, I believe we have them for a reason. For some, avoiding a black cat gives them authority over themselves, and for others it saves them from terrible luck. Whatever the reason, for the people who participate in them, superstitions serve an ever present role in their lives, and to dismiss them is to dismiss a core quality of the person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this! I considered myself pretty superstitious when I was a kid and, even though most of that has dissipated, I still knock on wood all the time.

      Delete
    2. I totally agree!
      And that novel is magic..magic that is so powerful and poignant, it can be devastating. I am so glad Zoe is spreading the word about it!

      Delete
  6. I believe in sports. Sports can bring a community together, can rally behind someone or something, or just gives people something to watch when they are bored. On Superbowl Sunday, I thought it would be a cool idea to reflect on how much sports help people who watch and play them.

    Sports gives people something to get excited about. There is something different about waking up on a Saturday and knowing that there is a basketball or football game on almost the entire day. It is thrilling to watch your team win close games and heartbreaking to watch your team struggle. Being a fan of a team that 99 percent of the state you live in hates has it’s challenges for sure, but that just adds to the fun of being a sports fan. When Auburn beats Kentucky, I get to talk smack to my friends. When Kentucky beats Auburn, they talk smack to me. It isn’t out of hate or them wanting to make me mad, just passionate sports fans proud to be a fan of their team.

    When Kobe died, the entire world stopped for a few days. NBA players didn’t know what to do or think, but after the shock was over, they realized that Kobe would have wanted them to play. And not just play, but play with everything they have. Being able to watch athletes give 100 percent effort to try and get their team a win is something that is admirable to me.

    Sports has given me so many memories that I will remember for my entire life. Going to my first MLB game with my dad, my first college football game, storming the field after Auburn beat Alabama, going to the final 4, I could go on forever. The point is: I would argue that sports is one of the greatest things to ever be created. That is just my opinion, but without sports, there would be so many moments in history and in our lives that we would never have experienced. I would hate to see a world without them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whenever Pink Floyd comes on the radio, I am pulled back through the years into the tiny room I shared with my college roommate in Bulgaria.

    Her name was Dilyana. We were unlike each other. Dilyana was short, wore beat-up t-shirts and jeans, listened to alternative music, smoked cigarettes, and came from Pleven, a city in the North of Bulgaria. I was tall and fond of skirts. I had never been into music. I had never smoked, I studied hard, I came from the middle of the country, and I needed 5 days advance notice to go to the movies. I called it being mentally prepared. I demanded mental preparation for any daily occurrence; I found comfort in knowing what was ahead of me.

    Because our dorm was once a hotel, our room had a bathroom. We didn’t have to share it with others. We were convinced our room had been a single in its hotel days; we couldn’t imagine the management sending more than one person to a space so small. Maybe it was the proximity of our beds or Dilyana’s easy-going spirit, but my roommate became my closest person in college, teaching me things my classes did not.

    Dilyana taught me the joy of going to a movie on an impulse. After the movie, we sometimes chatted with Ivan, the manager of the theater, about the next movie he might bring. Dilyana took me to Pulp Fiction on a Thursday afternoon. Afterwards, she played the soundtrack so many times, I still think about our tiny room every time I hear “Son of a Preacher Man.”

    Dilyana invited me to hitchhike with her. Together, we went on unplanned trips to Sofia and ate American corn on the cob at the brand-new McDonald's that had just opened. I spent the spring listening to an American student read Walt Whitman’s poetry out loud. When he left, he passed both his love for Whitman and his little volume of Song of Myself to me. I still have that book.

    My college roommate introduced me to Pink Floyd, Richard Avedon, and staying up all night to drink beer, eat salad, and talk with friends.

    Dilyana and I left our college in the same month. She graduated and returned to her hometown in Northern Bulgaria. I left for the US.

    I think of Dilyana when Pink Floyd calls out:

    Hey you, out there on the road
    Always doing what you're told
    Can you help me?

    I am not sure if it’s Dilyana or me who needs help. I know I miss her.

    I believe in college roommates, changing our lives one song and one movie at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love this Kremena! You can really meet some cool people in college.

      Delete
    2. "I needed 5 days advance notice to go to the movies"-- I feel this! Mental preparation is important to me as well

      Also, I love this story! I haven't lived with a roommate since I was a sophomore but this made me think of the impact each of my roommates had on me

      Delete
    3. I have had a hard time building close friendships with my roommates, I suppose because we were all in a different place internally. I have been able to explore music, movies, and travel with my boyfriend, though, which has enriched my life. He's gotten me into Pink Floyd too!

      Delete
  8. I watched as she pulled a plastic bag from her pocket and poured a collection of small pills onto a placemat that featured a whaling ship. My grandmother’s “after dinner” pills, were kept stored in her pocket until dessert plates were cleared, the table was wiped down, and my mother had started a pot of coffee in the kitchen. While my siblings and I prepared the Parcheesi game board, located some dice, and fought over the most intact of the long-ago-disintegrated-cardboard tubes for rolling the dice, my grandmother declared she would just roll the dice in her hands. Pulling pills into piles, she reminded herself, “This one is feverfew, it helps my arthritis. Valerian for sleep. Saw Palmetto, Milk Thistle…” The odd names of the pills fascinated me, as did the narrative that usually came with the last one, “I don’t remember what this is for, but isn’t it cute?” Taken with coffee, before the board game began, the pills were a momentary window into my grandmother’s life, shaped by uncertainty of aging bodies and her suspicion of traditional medicine. I remember laughing at her collection of pills and thinking she would be a perfect target for every small-kitchen manufacturer of cure-all, snake-oil supplements.

    30 years later I sit at the breakfast table with my father as he pours his morning pills onto a napkin alongside 2 hard-boiled eggs, each cut in half. He snaps open another container and pours my mother’s pills onto a second napkin. She arrives a few minutes later and opens her day-by-day pill safe to be certain my father put all her morning pills out. I ask what the pills are for. She narrates, “Gingko for memory, Fish Oil for heart rhythm, Beet Root for blood pressure, Glucosamine, Saint John’s Wort…” Reaching the last pill, she mumbles, “I forget what this one is called, but it is for uptake, and it is the cutest of them all.”

    This morning, I took a Tylenol with breakfast, as I have every day for a week to diminish the pain in my lower back. I have inherited a suspicion of medicine and avoid anything but Band-Aids sold at a pharmacy. Even as my suspicion of pharmaceuticals grows, my body ages, and I find myself ready to believe in cure-all, snake-oil supplements—I can make exceptions for pills that are cute. I might be forced to take Tylenol, but I would rather take Valerian, Chamomile, or Coconut Oil, counted out as pills after dessert plates are cleared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moral of the story: Kurt is old.

      In all seriousness, this is a lovely story and interesting trait that you have carried on from your family. It is awesome to see what we take from our parents and grandparents, that we once considered to be peculiar.

      Delete
  9. I believe any point is a turning point. Hole 1, hole 7, hole 17...it’s never too late. Yesterday, I played putt putt, and my turning point was hole 13. I play golf, not putt putt. Putt putt annoys me. BIG time. The skill sets are not transferable--rocks and tunnels don’t appear on real greens, stone bumpers aren’t there to help you out, and plastic grass is nowhere near comparable to Bermuda. What IS transferrable is the mental strategy. Sometimes you just lose it, and you can’t get it back. Your head’s not in the game and there’s nothing you can do about it until you recenter yourself. Simon did not recenter himself. I watched him take a 12 on hole 13. I watched him lose it. He’d been having a good game, better than mine, the college golfer’s, in fact. I’d had my share of rough holes. In fact, I'd even been robbed of a hole-in-one. Obviously, I was not in the best headspace. But when I watched Simon fall apart, I saw my mistake. I regrouped, didn’t let my previous slips phase me, and my game CAME BACK. I went even par to finish the round and came out victorious against my 2 competitors. Simon’s game spiraled, and I recovered. I acknowledged the opportunity for a positive turning point. His turning point wasn’t so positive. But my point still holds. Every point is a turning point. It’s never too late to acknowledge that. Hope is always to be found, and making a change is rarely futile. It’s never too late to rally and make a birdie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the message here! It has taken me a long time to learn to recenter myself, but it's such a valuable weapon against feeling hopeless.

      Delete
    2. Yes! Life is full of second, third and even fourth chances!

      Delete
  10. I believe in ducks

    I was introduced to ducks at a very young age. One of my first memories is feeding the ducks at Freeman lake. I was 4 years old and honestly about the size of a duck when I first encountered them.

    Feeding the ducks was always a special treat when I was being babysat by my mammaw and great aunt and uncle. I was always the first out of the car when we arrived at the lake. My mammaw and my great aunt Neecey would always wait in the car. They did not like feeding the ducks and would patiently wait until I finished.

    I would gleefully run to the banks holding my great uncle Kenny’s hand. He would hand me a couple of stale crackers to feed the ducks. I would always get excited when they would come up to see me. Excitement then turned to fear as I realized they were almost the same height as me. I climbed up Kenny’s pant leg trying to escape the ducks. He told me to let go of the crackers as that is what they want. I dropped the crackers and ran back to the car.

    Kenny finished feeding the ducks the remainder of the crackers and headed back to the car. I remember my mammaw asking me why I like to feed the ducks even though they scare me. I didn’t really have an answer for her. Maybe I liked feeding the ducks because it was a ritualistic thing we did as a family. Or possibly I liked feeding them as I always enjoyed doing things that had a sense of danger.

    I am currently wearing shorts with ducks on them as I write this essay. I like to keep reminders around of my times feeding the ducks. Whether that be keeping stale crackers( I know they’re bad for ducks now) or wearing duck shorts, I like to be reminded of those special memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love ducks. I love that you love ducks. This is a heartwarming story. Im glad you had such a touching relationship with your uncle.

      Delete
  11. Time and time again, Patrick Mahomes has come through for me. I had him on my fantasy team for the last two years and he would put up some crazy numbers for me- which led to me winning the regular season in the league this year. So who would you think I bet on Sunday to win the Super Bowl? The Chiefs! I was in full belief the Chiefs were going to run away with the game at some point. It was a tough, competitive game all the way through- one of the most enjoyable Super Bowls I have ever watched. The 49ers defense put up a fight but Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs offense eventually was just too much. There has been 10 other times in his career that Mahomes has been down double digits and came back. Where his record is now 10-0 in those situations. It seems like he feels more comfortable being behind during the game. So even when the Chiefs were down double digits heading into the fourth, I still believed. The Chiefs eventually prevailed to a 31-20 win in the Super Bowl. It was one of the first games I was actually correct in my prediction of the Super Bowl winner. The 49ers defense tried their best against the Chiefs but were not enough. I did not watch much football during the season but I kept up the best I could from news reporters and fantasy football. I was a witness to all the crazy plays Patrick Mahomes has made so when it came to them in the Super Bowl with their clutch past, I believed Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs were going to pull through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe ladybugs are terrifying.
    I don’t dislike all bugs, but ladybugs and I have beef. Those domed, six-legged freaks of insects are mean and I will not be persuaded otherwise. It all started when I was in grade school. Lady bugs like to hibernate in warm conditions. You know whats warm in the winter? My house. They creep through tiny cracks in windows and doors. They gather in large groups and it is very annoying! Basically an infestation of ladybugs. You also cannot mess with them because they emit a lingering smell if you “bug” them, or squash them. They used to be everywhere. The way they fly is terrifying the sound is even worse. Their legs grip to you if they land on you and it is the most disturbing feeling. ALSO DID YOU KNOW THEY CAN BITE YOU?? I believe lady bugs are terrifying because I have had my fill of close contact. I am not a fan of any beetles… Sorry Shelby, I know you love them, but I draw the line at ladybugs. They are just the worse. They may not be poisonous (to humans) or have temper problems, but they are the most annoying. I can even handle stink bugs. Stink bugs are slow moving, so I can just pick them up and move them. Lady bugs are fast flying AND cannibalistic! They can carry a fungus that will kill rival ladybugs. The murderous lady will infect the victim bug with the fungus until they die. Then, the murderous lady is left with the victims' children to munch on.
    I rest my case on why ladybugs are terrifying. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be the only person in the world I have ever known that shares my fear of those nasty bugs. One time in middle school, I was in my room and one FLEW INTO MY EAR. I literally started bloody murder screaming and my dad had to remove it with a pair of tweezers. Now every time I see one, I have a small heart attack. So moral of the story, I agree. They suck.

      Delete
    2. I have a vivid memory of being bitten by a ladybug in pre-school. I am still haunted.

      Delete
  13. Throughout high school, I was considered “a good girl.” Many people thought I would go crazy and have a baby once I graduated, I might have gone a little crazy, but not like they figured. I embodied this good girl mentality. I never smoked, drank, or cussed. I wouldn’t even use the Lord’s name in vain. I watched the Taylor Swift documentary this weekend and the one thing I focused on throughout it was her use of swears. Swift didn’t start swearing in her songs until the Reputation album, but it was very minimal. Her use of cuss words throughout the documentary helped me view her as an adult, or someone normal. Watching this and realizing this, I related to her. I didn’t start using ‘foul language’ until I came to college - it was just something I didn’t do. Gradually, my use of swear words has become more and more frequent - I know have what some would call a sailor’s mouth. The use of cuss words has allowed me to have more expression, it has allowed me to grow into myself and feel comfortable developing into an adult. As a woman, the use of cuss words allows me to be taken more seriously and aids me in using my power. There is a power dynamic of cuss words, it can re-establish your identity. I believe in the use of swear words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also didn't start swearing til I got to college-- I had a life problem come up in the middle of my first year that was so painful I felt I needed new words. Though I avoid swearing most of the time, I have to agree with your statement about power dynamics and swearing.

      Delete
    2. I love swear words, they add spice to life.

      Delete
  14. I love. Wouldn’t we all like to start a poem, a letter or even a text with “I love …”? I would! I mean, I love the fact there are parallel lines in the word “parallel,” I love how words sometimes mirror what they mean. I love mirrors and that stupid tale about Narcissus. I suppose there is some Narcissism in that. You know, Narcissism, something that I am usually reminded to avoid almost all the time. I love Narcissism. I do. But what I really really love is ice cream. I love that my Achilles heel is non other than ice cream— so chilly, so common. And I love fountain pens. I mean I just love them. Cleaning them, filling them with ink, fills me with a kind of joy, even if joy is so 1950 nowadays. I know, no one talks about joy anymore. It is even more taboo than love. And so, of course, I love joy. I love the way joy sounds as it exits your mouth. You know, the word joy. How joyfully joyous is that? I love the way the mind runs that pathway from bubbles to dandelions. I love a lot. And right now, as we’re walking down this street, I love the way our shadows race each other every time we walk past a light-post. and last but not least, I love the way we sway as we walk hand in hand Joyous and very much much in love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That felt like a rollercoaster and I loved it

      Delete

  15. Growing up I lived on a farm with my mom, dad and two brothers. I remember many days mom would tell us to go outside and not come back in until we were told otherwise. Just like most kids we would have loved to sit inside and stare into the screens that consume many people's lives but that was not going to fly with my parents. Instead we would go “fishing” in our backyard, sinkers and bolts tied onto our lines casting away pretending to catch imaginary fish for hours. We would have full on parades in our driveway my dad would lead the group and us kids would follow with a stomp rocket at the end to conclude the parade. There was a big tree stump sitting on the driveway and a Folgers coffee can full of nails sitting next to it we would spend hours hammering into it carefully trying not to smash our little fingers. The many hours spent helping my dad mulch around the trees, burn the brush pile, paint fences and simply learn how to take part in family responsibilities. All of these memories are still so clear in my mind to this day. My parents believe in the beauty of the outdoors so as a child that is where I spent most of my time, blossoming into the person I am today.

    I see parents giving their kids ipads and iphones to occupy them all the time now. Kids did not always have technology to keep them occupied nor do they need it now that it is accessible. I believe kids need to spend more time outside using their imagination and socializing in the real world rather than sitting in front of screens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is so so true. I also grew up on a farm, constantly doing things outside whether it was learning how to plant a flower with my mom or literally climbing on top of a grain bin with my dad. The responsibilities I was given gave me the drive I have today to succeed and I agree that children today are missing out on valuable opportunities to better themselves.

      Delete
  16. Just this past weekend, I was given the chance to attend a weekend long leadership training conference with a few other women from my sorority. As an extremely busy person, I was not looking forward to spending 8 hours in a cramped van to go to what I thought was going to be a seemingly endless parade of mindless seminars telling me things that I already knew. However, the experience I had was something far, far different.
    An hour after we arrived, we had our first meeting. I walked into a giant ballroom filled with over a thousand women. As we all took our seats, our national president made her way onto the stage. She took a quick second to introduce herself and then began a long speech that is going to forever change the way I live. She told us to take a second and look around the room. I did so, noticing that every woman there, dressed in their best blazers, were smiling at each other as we made eye contact with people we will most likely never see again.
    Our president went on to tell us that being in a sorority, while maybe not always the most exciting or the most life changing thing in the world, empowers women in a way that the media and our peers tries to take away from. As the weekend continued, I met women from all over America that shared the same values and drive to be successful as I did. We talked for hours on end about what our dreams were after we left college and how, as women, our road to prosperity, even in the 21st century, is crowded with bumps and obstacles.
    I believe that women must stick together. We must push each other to run farther, apply for the job that a man always, push each other to do better than we did on our last test. We must also comfort each other when times are hard, be each other’s rocks when we feel alone, and serve as a constant reminder to one another that reaching for the stars is not an impossible task. Women empowering women is not just something that had to be done 100 years ago when we banded together to get the vote. It needs to happen everyday. You never know how a small word of encouragement to a fellow peer can forever alter their thoughts and give them the strength to rise above the injustices we face everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. from Sarah Metcalfe

    A couple of weeks ago, I saw an infographic depicting the ethnic diversity represented in children’s books from 2018. In the children’s books published that year, 50% of main characters were white; there were more animal characters than all characters of color COMBINED. When young people of color look at any form of media, all they see is white faces. They rarely see someone who looks like them being a princess or an astronaut or living out a fairy tale. And ultimately, that tells them that they can’t do these things.

    I believe that representation is vital for the success of young people. Young people, especially young people of color, need to see people from their communities, cultures, and ethnicities being celebrated and uplifted. After Obama was elected president, so many young black people spoke of wanting to be government officials when they grew up. This is no coincidence: having positive role models and representations in the media allows young people of color to see that they can achieve anything, that they can do so much more than what society tells them is possible.

    Whiteness can no longer be the cultural norm. We need more accurate representations of all the cultures and ethnicities that inhabit our world, rather than representations of a Eurocentric mindset. I think one of the first steps in achieving racial equality is equal representation. We have a long way to go before then, but hopefully one day the infographic I saw will look much, much different.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I’d heard the phrase “unspecified anxiety disorder” maybe one other time in my life before I heard it used to describe my mental health last Friday as I sat in my counselor’s office for the first time in about ten months.

    It was received on my end with disbelief-- not because I don’t think I should have a diagnosis, but because I never thought I’d be able to get one. Though I’ve been experiencing problems with mental health-- and I’ve been talking openly about those problems-- for years now, I don’t actually fully fit the criteria for any of the most common mental health disorders that might sound similar to what I experience. I occasionally experience panic attacks and other issues, but there was no criteria for a disorder that fit me. Little did I know, there’s a term that exists specifically for situations like mine-- a catchall phrase for people who don’t fit those criteria.

    Because of my disbelief, I asked her what I already knew was a silly question-- if that was a diagnosis or just a phrase.

    She laughed. “It’s a diagnosis.”

    Most days I've been very good at keeping in mind that what I feel is valid, diagnosed or not. Some days I've questioned whether I had any grounds to talk about mental health because of my lack of a diagnosis. Typically that was followed by me reminding myself that it doesn't matter-- I would argue that everyone struggles with mental health at one point or another and we should all be free to share our own experiences and that all of them are valid.

    I’m pleased that the term “unspecified anxiety disorder” exists, as well as displeased with how little I’d heard of it before, despite taking three psychology classes and doing my own research.

    I believe that the experiences of undiagnosed people are valid. And I believe in labels.

    ReplyDelete
  19. One thing you may or may not know about me is my long standing love for Taylor Swift. I have been a fan since her first album, and I’ve had the opportunity to see her live a few times. In 2015, I had the chance to meet her brother and her dad at her Nashville show. On January 31st 2020, Taylor released her second Netflix special, titled “Miss Americana.” In the intimate documentary, named after track 7 from “Lover,” viewers get a look at some of the most private moments in Taylor’s life; she discusses the Kanye feud, her mother’s cancer treatment, an eating disorder, her song writing, and her choice to finally take a political stance during the 2018 midterm elections in her home state of Tennessee. In this documentary, I had the chance to finally see all of the things I love about Taylor compiled into one film. She uses her star power to speak out for such important things, like equal rights for everyone and fair trials for sexual assault victims. Taylor goes into detail about her own very public sexual assault trial, and she offers support to other women and girls who have gone through a similar situation. As she discusses her eating disorder, she explains her unhealthy relationship with food and the ways she did not realize she had an eating disorder at the time. Her ability to speak so personably on such deep and serious issues inspires me to also want to ignite change from my own hardships; Taylor explains some of the most vulnerable experiences of her life in this documentary in order to offer advice to anyone else who may be going through something similar. She’s brave, courageous, and strong; I believe in Miss Americana.

    ReplyDelete